thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The Fairy Tale Trap (Ivy Thorn, #1) - Emily Casey *I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for an honest review.I really dug Ivy. She’s totally take charge. She’s not sitting around waiting for someone to save her. She knows it’s all on her. As a result, she was a pretty great heroine. She really shines in this book especially compared to Beauty.There’s nothing exactly wrong with Beauty but she’s the typical fairy tale character. She’s perfect, wants someone to save her, and has a problem with instalove. It’s not really her fault though. (Come on, she is a fairy tale character.)The story was a cool take on Beauty and the Beast. We know the basics of the fairy tale. It’s an okay story but not that exciting. Now imagine what would happen if you dropped a (feisty) girl from today into the story. You’ll get a fun story with a heroine who won’t just sit back and let things happen. She’s not content to be constrained by the ‘rules’ of a fairy tale world.I really appreciated that Ivy was aware of other people in this book. When she was thrown into this world, she didn’t get lost in the magic of a new world. She wanted to get out but her main focus was to make sure her mom didn’t worry. How many characters in fantasy books are really concerned about their families? It was a refreshing change for me. She was even worried about Beauty. Beauty wouldn’t normally be a person Ivy would be friends with but Ivy did her best to ‘care’ for Beauty. Ivy even puts her own life in danger just to try to fix the fairy tale she broke.Beauty and the Beast is the large focus of the story but there were other elements in the story to keep things interesting. The pixie that caused this whole mess should be interesting to learn more about. Then there’s also the white lady who pops up towards the end. She’s only there are a few minutes but I suspect she’ll be a bigger player in other books.The bottom line? It’s the perfect mix of a modern girl living stuck in a fairy tale world.