thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Spy Factory #1: My School is a Spy Factory

Spy Factory #1: My School is a Spy Factory - Steven Stickler *I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.We jumped right into things. We go from Nate being forced into the school to suddenly being out on a mission. There was no background on the school. We didn't go with him to any classes, we didn't meet any classmates or teachers. We just learned everything secondhand ("It's like that one time in XYZ class that so and so did this"). I would have been a lot happier if we had just spent a bit of time in classes just to get a feel of the school before being sent out in the field. Even though action starts quickly enough in Harry Potter, we still go to school with him.The story was quickly paced. That makes for fun reading. It's definitely great for the target audience. They should have no problem devouring the book in a few sittings. The story feels a lot like the other popular books out there like 39 Clues. Fans of that series should have fun with this book.I liked that the story wasn't without its share of twists and turns. A lot of times books in this age range are pretty clear cut with the "good" guys and the "bad" guys. Not true with this story. We had secret agents and super secret agents. You can't really be sure who's on your side. It was a fun twist!I loved the explanation for codes in the book. It was easy to understand so readers could go out and write messages in the codes. Hooray for turning the readers into spies!The bottom line? It was a very fun read.