thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Peter Pan in Scarlet - Geraldine McCaughrean, Scott M. Fischer, J.M. Barrie

I had really high hopes for this story because it’s an official sequel to Peter Pan. [Barrie left the rights to Peter Pan to Great Ormond Street Hospital and they in turn approved this sequel.]

The premise of this story had a lot of potential. Something is wrong in Neverland. Neverland is slipping into the ‘real’ world. Now all grown up The Lost Boys and Wendy must return to Neverland to see if they can fix what’s wrong. That sounds interesting right?

Ehhhhh, it turns out not to be so interesting.  I could NOT for the life of me get into this story. I was really bored out of my mind. There was no magic, no spark to pull me in. It was a bit painful to stick with the story.

I thought it was a really interesting idea to make Peter less than perfect. He’s forgotten about his friends again. If they’re gone for any length of time, he doesn’t care about them. Then there’s something a bit dark going on with him. He’s turning slightly evil and aggressive. We discover that he’s taking on a lot of Hook’s characteristics and turning in to Hook. It’s an interesting idea because he has been wearing Hook’s coat. That introduces the idea that clothes make the man. That’s a bit of a scary thought.

The bottom line? Ehhhh, not really for me but the premise is very interesting.