thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness, Jim Kay I'll be honest. I'm a bit of a Patrick Ness fangirl. I adored The Chaos Walking Trilogy so I went into this book knowing that I'd most likely love it. Like his other books, I can't competently describe how good the book was. You just need to read it for yourself. Here's my attempt at a review.While it's fun to get lost in a world that's very different than your own, it's always worthwhile to get lost in a similar world to your own. Many people have suffered loss in his or her lifetime. More often than not, it's long, drawn out and emotionally draining so Conor and his life are very easy to relate to. With recent circumstances in my life, I was put into a similar circumstance so I completely understood Conor's anger, pain, and profound grief. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed this book so much.Like the Chaos Walking Trilogy, Ness is able to blur the lines of good and bad. When reading about the monster's stories, you think you know who's the good guy and who's the bad guy but like most things in life it's more complicated than that. Is the "right" thing always the right thing to do? Are "bad" decisions sometimes the only way out of a bad circumstance?*Spoilery* The Conor's truth was hauntingly beautiful because this truth is hard to admit. It is hard to admit that you wish death would come. It's a terrible thing to say out loud but at least death would mean suffering for everyone is over finally. *End of spoilers*The illustrations are absolutely beautiful. Skip over the audiobook and ebook. Make sure you pick up the physical book.The bottom line? If you're okay with having a book make you weep, pick this up ASAP. It's a beautiful book. Also make sure you have loved ones close when you finish the book. You're going to need a big hug when you're done.