thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The Magician's Elephant

The Magician's Elephant - Yoko Tanaka, Kate DiCamillo Oh my. I think I’m developing a bit of an ‘author crush’ on Miss DiCamillo. This book was just positively charming. Much like The Tale of Despereaux, this book feels very much like an old fairy tale. Though the book is a fantasy story, DiCamillo tells it in such a way that you really feel like it could happen. As if there was a way to conjure an elephant with magic. If you just hope enough, it could happen.The story is very sweet and gentle. You can’t help but love it. To me it feels like a timeless story. I could read this to kids 20, 40 years from now and I think they’d enjoy it as much as kids today. The ideas propelling the story (love, hope, magic) aren’t anything new but it’s done in very refreshing way.Read the rest of my review at The Cheap Reader.