thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The Mysterious Howling (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place Series #1)

The Mysterious Howling (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place Series #1) - This book is incredibly charming and funny. I appreciate that the author is able to take a serious and a ridiculous subject (feral children and the idea of hunting them) and make it funny and lighthearted.The characters are quite loveable. Miss Lumley is a great governess. I had a hard time believing she was only 15! You could definitely tell she loved the children and her job. I’m a bit of a sucker for cute kids so I quickly fell for Alexander, Beowulf, and Cassiopeia. Much like “real” kids, they are so desperate to please so they were able to learn the basics of civilized living quick enough. They still had the tendency to howl and a love of squirrels but those are only small problems, right? ;) To be honest, my favorite “character” is the narrator. He/she takes the story very serious even though it’s hilarious. I loved the little side notes sprinkled in the story.The story moves quickly along. It was the perfect amount of mystery for a children’s book. It was mysterious enough to keep you reading but there weren’t major bombshells being dropped. Some of the mysteries were solved but the big one (why the kids were in the woods to begin with) wasn’t. I hope that gets resolved in the other books in the series. That seems to be a major thing to forget or overlook.The bottom line? Very enjoyable. I’ll need to pick up the next book in the series!