thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

A Wind in the Door

A Wind in the Door (Time, #2) - Madeleine L'Engle I have such mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, we get to see the characters again! Meg, Charles Wallace, and Calvin really made A Wrinkle in Time for me so I was excited to see them again. We get to see them in different circumstances this time so we see a different side of them. Meg continues to struggle with figuring how who she is. Calvin continues to be wonderfully supportive and a good friend to the Murry family.And there was Charles Wallace… I’m so glad that the author chose to tackle this issue. In A Wrinkle in Time we see that Charles Wallace is smart. Incredibly smart but not in the normal way. We’re not talking about a 5 year old who is able to read picture books by himself. We’re talking a whole other world smart. There’s nothing wrong with this because I’m sure there are kids like this out there. It just brings up the issue of this is not a normal occurrence so he will have problems fitting in with his peers. Sure enough in A Wind in the Door Charles Wallace is picked on because of how he acts. I like the way L’Engle handled the issue. She emphasizes that Charles Wallace needs to adapt to his surroundings not change who he is. I think that’s a good lesson for all of us to take to heart.Now on to the story. Oye. This book is a perfect example of why I’m cautious in reading Science Fiction and Fantasy books. In Science Fiction/Fantasy the only limit is the author’s imagination so we could really go any where. This book was way, way too out there for me. A Wrinkle in Time pushed me to my limits and I could follow along with what was going on but just barely. A Wind in the Door just left me out in the cold wondering what the heck just happened. It’s a short book but I was completely confused about what was going on for most of the story. I didn’t understand much of what was going on other than Charles Wallace was ill and Meg was attempting to get him better.The bottom line? I was too confused to enjoy much from the story. If A Wrinkle in Time was too much for you, tread lightly with this book.