thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

A Wrinkle in Time

A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle I forgot how completely bizarre this book is. I do enjoy this book but man it is weird. Fantasy books are fun because of how weird things can be. There are no rules so the only limit is the author’s imagination. L’Engle takes the reader on a whirlwind of a ride. I’m not super familiar with children’s books from this time but I’m relatively certain that this was a shift from the norm in the books.The science aspect is interesting. I’ve been dabbling more in science fiction books recently and I’ve noticed that many books (or at least the ones I’m reading) don’t dwell much on the actual science part. They tend to use science almost as magic. Like we can transport people from planet to planet but the book never really explains how the science behind it works. A Wrinkle In Time attempts to explain the science of the book. I’ve always found science to be interesting but I wasn’t very good at it so I can’t tell you exactly how accurate the science is. Even if the science is completely fictional, it’s still a nice touch that the author tries to explain to the reader how things work even if it is over the reader’s head.For me, the characters really make the book. Meg is an awesome character. She’s very relatable. She has flaws, she’s intelligent but not “smart”, she has a hard time getting along with others, she has a bit of a temper, and she is willing to do anything she can for her family. How can you not love that? Charles Wallace is interesting. I love really smart little kids. It’s always fun talking with them so I would definitely get along with him. Then again I definitely see how weird and creepy it is for a 5 year old to be that smart. Calvin is the oddball of the group. To me, he didn’t do much to stick out as a reason for liking but for some reason I really like him.The bottom line? Highly recommended for fans of science fiction and or children’s books.