thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Days of Blood and Starlight

Days of Blood and Starlight - Sooooo slow. I couldn’t believe how slow the first half of the book was (for me). I know books and stories take a while to build up and set the scene. I’m fine with that. It shouldn’t take over 200 pages to get to the really good stuff though. That’s a bit much for me. Thankfully the story does get really interesting when everything started to fall into place. For the last half of the book I was glued to the book speed reading.I found the book to be really confusing. That might be more my fault though. I did listen to the first book as an audiobook over several months. That’s enough to make my memories of the book a bit shaky. Plus that was several months ago. I might have forgotten what was happening other than Karou=Madrigal and Akiva killed her family.With that said, the story itself was still really confusing. There were multiple storylines going on which can be hard to follow. On top of that, the chapters were on the shorter side and you were frequently hopping between stories. Just when you start settling into a story, you’re moved on to the next one. That made it really hard for me to really get into the story.I did appreciate that Taylor did do some good world building. She fills us in on the politics of the worlds. She split the time pretty well between the Chimera world and the Seraphim world. You do start to understand each group’s perspective on the issues. Despite the lovely world building, I personally just didn’t care about either group for some reason.The bottom line? Solid enough sequel but I didn’t love it.