thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily - -It was interesting to hear the story from Tink’s perspective. The whole “fairies don’t have language” thing was a bit weird though. How is she telling us then? We’re not fairies. I also liked that her “jealousy” was explained.-I’m not familiar with Peter Pan at all. I saw the Disney movie once as a kid and that’s about it so the whole story was a new world for me.-Though I’m not really familiar with the story I know the some of basics: Captain Hook doesn’t like Peter and the Lost Boys, Peter takes Wendy and her brothers to Neverland, and that’s about it.-I did appreciate that Tiger Lily and her tribe were the large focus of the story. I’m pretty sure they’re passed over in the book and many of the retellings. I love when authors give some love to overlooked characters.-I just never clicked with Tiger Lily. I know she’s supposed to be cold and harsh but that doesn’t make me like her. I really couldn’t cheer for her (except when Wendy showed up because I really hated Wendy for some reason.)-I did like that the story was a bit darker. Smee a murderer? Hook an angry, sad old man? Tiger Lily being forced into marriage? Peter and the Lost Boys leaving Neverland behind? Those aren’t elements of the happier version of Peter Pan we know.-Oh man, the story was paced super slow. I guess the introduction of Wendy was the conflict? That didn’t happen until the last third of the book. I need action and excitement before that.The bottom line? It was enjoyable enough but certainly not what I was hoping for.