thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Little House on the Prairie (Little House Series: Classic Stories #2)

Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder, Garth Williams 3.5/5I liked Little House in the Big Woods well enough. I just found it to be a bit boring. The Ingalls family wasn’t doing anything too exciting. The book was just a snapshot of 1 year in their life. Little House on the Prairie was a bit more eventful. Moving is always scary/nerve wracking on some level. Here the Ingalls family was moving further west where they know absolutely no one with nothing more than what they could fit in their wagon only to do who knows what. I don’t know about you guys but I found that to be terrifying. I know people did that type of stuff for years and years but to see it unfold in front of me was fascinating. It’s amazing to see how resourceful Pa was.Pa kind of irked me in this book. I thought it was completely ridiculous to pick up and move his whole family just because the woods were getting a bit crowded. I guess I could understand if he had some kind of plan for after they moved but he had nothing. Just wanted to move. He chose to completely disrupt his family’s life and pull them away from family. That’s pretty ridiculous.I was a bit taken aback my Ma and the Indians. I know I have to take a step back and remember we’re dealing with a different time period and and a different context compared to now. To a certain extent, I can understand her fear. It’s scary to be in the middle of no where with little protection and almost no one around to help. It’s even scarier to be in that situation on someone else’s land and you’re unable to communicate with those people.The bottom line? It was enjoyable. Certainly more enjoyable than what I remember as a kid.