thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls Series #1)

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls Series #1) - Romance books really aren't my thing. I've read a few but it's not something I would pick up given the choice. I had never read a paranormal romance before but I had this sneaking suspicion that I wouldn't like it. Guess what? My suspicion was right.Before I go into why I didn't like the book, I will say that the book was well written for what it was. It didn't sound like a teenage girl wrote it. There was proper grammar and the story flowed well. The mechanics of everything was well done.I had more of a problem with the story. Grace, one of the main characters, is likeable enough but completely dumb, in my opinion. She fall "in love" with this wolf (Sam) that she has seen for six years. It's way too creepy the way she loves the animal. After finding human Sam on her doorstep and taking him to the hospital, she brings him home and sleep together in the same bed. She's known the guy less than 8 hours and they're sleeping in the same bed? That's really creepy. They sleep together like a month later because being in love with an animal for 6 years is obviously a serious relationship.I know, I know those are stupid point to pick at but unfortunately too many teen girls are looking to books like these as a template for how relationships work. That ^ is not a normal relationship.I'm a fan of fantasy books and I always enjoy how the author imagines/describes how things function in their universe. I don't think the logistics of the changing into a werewolf because of the weather were explained well enough. It was explained okay but not enough for my tastes. The book is part of a trilogy so maybe it's explained more in the other books?I felt like maybe if the book wasn't a romance and was just about the friendship between the characters, I would have liked it more. The romance part killed it for me.Rating 2/5Not horrible but not good either. It just wasn't my cup of tea. If you're into the whole paranormal romance thing, then you should pick this up.