thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Gone (Gone Series #1)

Gone (Gone Series #1) - I was attracted to the book because I liked the premise. I'm always fascinated with the idea of people just disappearing (kind of like the Left Behind series). It's always interesting to see how different authors take on the idea.I really liked the fact that many of the actions of kids seemed normal and like things kids would do in this situation. You've got the kids who are taking advantage of no adults by watching too much television, eating nothing but junk food, and being bullies. You also have the select few kids being responsible for what needs to be done: taking care of the babies, attempting to be firemen, and playing doctor. Sure the kids didn't start farming (or finding another food source) or attempt to find some adults. That's okay. At the end of the day, they are still kids. For the most part, that aspect of the story was very realistic or at least as realistic as you can be in a fantasy story.I didn't find the characters to be terribly realistic or relateable. I thought they seemed a bit flat. I would have loved for them to be fleshed out more. I guess that's what happens when you have so many characters in a story. I did like that Sam didn't want to jump into the hero role. Yeah, I like heroes well enough. I just never find them to be realistic when they immediately jump into that role. Being the hero and having to be the person people look up to is scary. I want someone who is unsure of wanting to take that role. [I know that's how I would be.]I'm still undecided on the super powers. I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting but superpowers weren't it. It was a bit annoyed that the source of the powers and the adults disappearance wasn't explained. I guess that's just a way to get you to pick up the next book. :pThe writing style is very enjoyable. I found the story to be very addicting and didn't want to stop reading. I think I finished the 500+ page book in 2 days.The bottom line? It was an enjoyable enough book. I'll probably at least pick up the second book in the future.