thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1)

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1) - 4.5/5I liked that it wasn’t a re-telling in the strictest sense. It was more like a story with Cinderella elements added. I know I was a bit worried about a cyborg re-telling of Cinderella. If she had just simply retold the story but just made Cinderella a cyborg, the story would have been a bit…boring. Well, to me at least. I thought Meyer did a good job of keeping the story interesting and fresh by telling her own story and then slipping in a few of the fairy tale elements (evil stepmother, the ball).The science fiction was pretty well done. To me it slipped a bit into magic/fantasy because the science wasn’t explained as well as it could have been (for my taste). I’m willing to overlook it since Cinder is the focus of the story and not the scientists. Cinder may be smart and strong but she still is a teenager who doesn’t know what’s going on. Not to mention that Meyer chose to focus on the politics of this world rather than the science. If you know me, you know I was ecstatic about that. It was really interesting seeing all the dynamics of this world. We have tension here on Earth between Humans and Cyborgs. Then on top of that there’s tension between Humans and the Lunars? LOVE it. I would have loved to learn more about all of it but I’m sure Meyer will get to in one of the other books.I was really shocked about the ending. Well, not shocked exactly. I predicted what would happen pretty early on but I was still hooked and read like a mad woman to finish the book. That’s always impressive to me.The bottom line? Very, very enjoyable. I kick myself a bit for not reading this sooner but I’m glad I waited because now I don’t have as long of a wait to read Scarlet.