thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Colin Fischer

Colin Fischer - Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz Oh look, it’s another book featuring a teen on the autism spectrum. I didn’t mind it because the story really worked for me. We’ve got the angle of Colin trying to fit into high school and with his peers. That’s hard enough to do but for Colin, who has Asperger’s, it’s even more difficult. Then we have the mystery angle of the story. I do love a good mystery. Colin couldn’t just leave the big mystery that happened right before him alone. The most interesting part of the story, for me, was the fact that Colin was trying to clear his bully’s name. Most people wouldn’t go out of their way to help someone who makes their life miserable (even if they thought the person innocent). Colin had to do it though. Not because it was the “right” thing to do but because he couldn’t leave the mystery unsolved.When reading books that feature characters with Asperger’s, it’s always interesting to see how others in the world “deal” with them. Even though more and more people are aware of the disorder, most people still aren’t sure of what to do. This book highlights some realistic relationships. We have his female friend, whose name I’ve forgotten. She’s known Colin for quite a while so she knows his quirks. I loved that she wasn’t really bothered by the things he said or did. She let him know what it wasn’t acceptable for him to say or do something. Even though she’s becoming popular she still was sticking to him.The Coach was pretty awesome as well. I don’t think he quite knew what to do with Colin other than give him a bit more attention. He did his best treat Colin as normal as he could. Colin’s brother’s behavior was expected but disappointing. I know it must be difficult to grow up with a brother that’s different. Colin probably has always been treated differently so the brother might feel left out. I would think on some level the brother must know that Colin needs to be treated the way he is. He’s not intentionally trying to be difficult. I hated that he went into Colin’s room to mess with his stuff. I know I feel anxious if someone messes with my stuff. I couldn’t imagine they anxiety Colin felt though.The voice was weird. It seemed so rigid. I could understand a rigid and weird voice if Colin was narrating the story but the story was in 3rd person. I’m not sure what the authors were trying to do with that. I did enjoy the footnotes and anecdotes throughout the story.The bottom line: A good mystery!