thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The River of No Return (Jaguar Stones (Hardcover))

The River of No Return - Jon Voelkel, Pamela Voelkel Maybe more like 3.5/5?This story felt a bit like a step back for Max’s character. The series had him start out as selfish and oblivious but over the course of the past two books he has grown up. Sure he’s still juvenile because he’s still a young teen but there was growth. This book felt like all that growth just disappeared. He spent a huge portion of the book completely oblivious to the fact that the hotel was a trap. I’d like to think that after everything he’s been through he would be smart enough to recognize a trap or at least know to listen to Lola who was constantly warning him that it was a trap.It’s starting to feel like the series is being stretched for no reason. Of course the Death Lords are still out to get Max and Lola and try to destroy the world. That part of the story is getting a bit old. We’ve explored that storyline in the other books. I was kind of hoping the authors would incorporate other aspects of Mayan mythology into the series. They have a great opportunity to introduce kids to a very different mythology. Why not take advantage of it? We did get to learn more about the Hero Twins myth in this story so that was cool.These book are fun to read but I’m really starting to think they might be a bit juvenile for the older readers. There was definitely some humor in there just for the kids that could have been left out. I’m sure kids love it but as an adult I didn’t like it. Just a heads up for the older readers out there.The bottom line? A fun, fluffy read but not very filling.