thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The Light (Morpheus Road)

The Light - D.J. MacHale Hmmm maybe more like 2.5/5? I don't know if I can say that I liked it exactly. Ghost stories normally aren’t my thing but I decided to give this book (and series) a shot since I’m really enjoying MacHale’s other series Pendragon. For me, this book really doesn’t have the same magic. The story is interesting enough. Being haunted by ghosts is scary enough but being haunted by a creature of your own making? That is terrifying.The story was a bit convoluted though. It originally starts out with weird, paranormally things happening to Marshall at home. Then things switch gears and focus on trying to figure out what happened to Cooper. Yes, the author explains how the two things go together through the course of the book but I didn’t feel they completely fit together perfectly. There was something a bit off with it.I thought the book was scary enough. There was enough horror and gruesome stuff in the story. I know I had to read quickly and skim over parts so I didn’t get the images stuck in my head.The character development was lacking for my taste. It is understandable though. The characters were more focused on surviving and hopefully finding Cooper. That takes away any growth that might have happened. Not to mention the book takes place over a pretty short period of time (1 week?) so there might not have been a way to develop the characters like I would have liked to have seen.The bottom line? Ehh I wasn’t too impressed but I think the second book explores what going on with Cooper during the course of this storyline and this series apparently ties into some of the Pendragon books at the end. Both of those reasons might make me pick up book 2 in the future.