thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter Of Smoke And Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) - Khristine Hvam, Laini Taylor -I really liked Karou. She’s spunky, funny, independent. She feels very real. She knows boys/love aren’t going to fix everything. I totally want to be her friend.-Karou was obviously the focus of the story but the other characters were just as wonderful. Her “family” was a little weird but you had to love them. They’re sweet and you could feel how much they love Karou. Zuzana was hilarious and adorable. I thought she was a great best friend.-It’s a very interesting story. I know I held off on reading the book for quite a while because I thought it was going to be too weird. It was weird but it wasn’t off-putting. It’s not like anything I had read before.-The world building was quite awesome. I’ve never come across a book like this so I was endlessly fascinated by the world Taylor was giving us. Using teeth for magic?! What? I couldn’t help but want to know more.-I was totally loving the story until the end. I hated being taken from a very crucial moment into an incredibly long flashback. I didn’t hate the flashback per se but it wasn’t the right time for it.-The narrator was awesome. She absolutely was Karou. She was bubbly and had a full personality. Her voices were pretty decent as well. If you have the opportunity, please try this as an audiobook.-Akiva… As usual, I didn’t love the romance or Akiva. Star-crossed lovers aren’t exactly original. I didn’t love him. I did like that his love never wavered. I just didn’t swoon over him.The bottom line? I really enjoyed it except for the romance angle.