thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1)

Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1) - Jessica Day George I ended up buying the whole trilogy on a whim when they were featured as a Daily Deal on Amazon a few months ago. I had only read 1 Jessica Day George book at the time but it was super cute so I wanted to read more of her books. I guess I didn’t really read the summary of this book when I bought it because I read the summary before starting the book and got a bit worried. Errr a book about shoes? That doesn’t really sound exciting.Boy, was I wrong. Dragon Slippers was totally delightful! Creel was an awesome heroine. She’s strong and smart. She rejects many of the social norms of the time. Above all, she is willing to do what’s right no matter what the cost. I love those types of heroines.Politics! If you’ve been reading my blog/reviews for long you know I’m a big fan of politics in fantasy books. I was overjoyed with the political aspects in this book. Imagining dragons is fun but adding the political aspect of dragons made the story better. I really enjoyed seeing how dragons interacted with people. We learned a bit more about the history between the people and dragons and why dragons have been forced into hiding. It wasn’t a ton of information but it was quite a bit for a MG book. I wasn’t expecting it at all! It definitely made the book feel more mature.The story was a lot of fun. There was a lot of goodies crammed into the book. Friendships with dragons, a bit of a romance with a prince, mean girls, dealing with traitors, and beautiful dresses. I know that sounds like a weird mix but somehow it really works. I’m definitely more excited to continue with the series. Good thing I bought all the books!The bottom line? A really solid fantasy book.