thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Shutter Island

Shutter Island - Dennis Lehane Normally when dealing with movies that are based on books, I try to read the book first then see the movie. For whatever reason I didn’t do this with Shutter Island. I saw the movie close to a year ago but only read the book within the last month.The reason I like reading the book first is because I want to get lost in the universe the author creates and to see if the director can recreate that magic. Usually it doesn’t happen.I was a bit unsure of reading the book since I already knew the huge twist so in a sense the book was “ruined” for me. I liked the movie so why not go ahead and read the book, you know?FANTASTIC decision. Even though I knew what was going to happen, Lehane was able to keep me glued to the book with his writing. Seriously, I was glued to the book. I think I finished it in about a day. I’m a big reader but it’s hard to find books that keep me glued until I’m done with the book.The story was crazy but in a good way. As all the pieces start falling into place, you can’t believe it and wondered how you could miss it. I should re-read it to see if there are clues that I missed on my first read.One of the best parts about seeing the movie first is the director did a great job with the movie and stayed super close to the book so I had the movie going in my head as I read. Very rarely does that happen.The bottom line? I can’t recommend this book enough. Read it if you like mysteries, thrillers, or have seen the movie.