thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Anne of Avonlea

Anne of Avonlea  - Budge Wilson, L.M. Montgomery It was just as sweet and charming as the first one. This book is also episodic in nature. It’s a bit of a shame that there’s no overarching storyline for the book. It guess it works out well because the characters are able to shine more in a story told this way. The book was still quite packed with lots of goodies: Mr. Harrison, Anne becoming a school teacher, Anne and Marilla trying to raise twins, Miss Lavendar, and the A.V. I. S..It’s great to see how far Anne has come. She’s still the carefree, loveable heroine we met in the first book but she’s definitely matured. No she hasn’t completely outgrown her fantastical ways or wild imagination but you can’t really expect that after a few years. It’s hard to believe that she’s only 16-18 in this book. Instead she really matures like a real person does. Just a bit at a time but it is noticeable.There were so many lovely characters. Davy was a little stinker. I know he wasn’t trying to be a pain but he always seemed to end up in a big mess. Paul was very sweet. That’s how I imagine Anne would have been if she were a boy (or maybe that’s how her sons will be). It’s great to see that big of an imagination on a boy. Girls tend to be the ones with the big imaginations. Miss Lavendar was wonderful. She truly was a kindred spirit to Anne.The bottom line? It was a lovely sequel.