thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Shift

Shift - Kim Curran 3.5/5The idea of this book definitely intrigued me which is why I scooped it up off NetGalley. Come on, who hasn’t imagined what it would be like to undo a bad decision you made? The book starts off a bit boring. Pretty boring actually. I was pretty convinced the book was just going to be mediocre. Certainly not bad but not super amazing either. I had an idea about how things would play out.About 20% into the book everything changed. Scott did his first major shift and I was completely hooked. Shifting was pretty freaking cool. It’s definitely a bit reminiscent of books that have parallel or alternate universes. You see how much of an effect one single decision has on everything. Reading about shifting is kind of difficult though. I had an idea what it looked like but I couldn’t fully see it in my mind. It’s definitely something you’d need to see to be able to fully process it.I was so glad the story avoided going the typical route with the plot line. It was different than other books I’ve read. I had no idea where the story would go. I just had to hold on and enjoy the ride. The story moves pretty quickly so there’s not a lot of downtime. There really wasn’t too much romance or insta-love which I greatly appreciated. Sure, Scott and Aubrey kind of like each other but it’s not the focus of the story. Authors, please take note and use this more often.The age of the characters really rubbed me weird. This is a YA book so the characters are teenagers but they never felt like teenagers. They have this very adult “job”, some of them have their own place, and they’re drinking in bars. It would be one thing if they were older teenagers (18-19) or even adults in their 20s but the ones I’m thinking about were 15-16 so it just felt really weird and unnatural.The bottom line? Highly enjoyable story!*I received a copy from NetGally in exchange for an honest review.