thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Myth Weaver

Myth Weaver - David J. Normoyle The book really lives up to the title. Normoyle is blending the myths in with his story. I loved how the story fully illustrates that literature is definitely inspired by other stories. We all know that stories tend to have similar ideas but we don’t fully get it until we see it all laid out. It was cool to see that even though Greek and Norse mythologies are pretty different, they still have a lot in common. There were many repeating themes within those myths. Jagger’s life even had many of the same themes!There is definitely a lot going on which could be a bit confusing at times. You have the story line of Jagger trying to get his act together here in the real world. You also have the story going on in the ‘other world’. Norse and Greek mythology are fighting against each other to prove which is greater. On top of all that you step into each myth when it’s retold. That’s a lot of stories going on! When you’re sitting there reading, it’s not too bad but if you have to stop and start again later, it takes a while to re-situate yourself into the story.I really enjoyed the fact that the myths were told straight. There was no ‘re-imagining’, there was no making the story modern. It was simply the myths being told as they have been for thousands of years (as far as I could tell). This helped the story go smoother. I know I was a bit hesitant because I’m not familiar at all with Norse mythology. Since a majority of the book as simply restating the myths, it was easy enough to follow for a newbie like me.The bottom line? Very cool idea for a story and the idea was executed well.*I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.