thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Winnie the Pooh

Winnie the Pooh - A.A. Milne,  Ernest H. Shepard Confession time. I never was a big Winnie-the-Pooh (Disney version) fan. Sure the movies are a bit cute but I always thought they seemed a bit dull and slow. I liked the idea of 100 Acre Woods and all the critters there but just never loved any of the media I saw. This book completely changed my mind. I love Pooh, Owl, Rabbit, Piglet, Eeyore, Kanga, and Roo!It takes a while to fully understand what’s going on. From what I was able to gather, the book is a father (or maybe grandfather) telling stories to Christopher Robin. The stories are fictional but the two of them are pretending that they’re real. Pooh and Eeyore are Christopher Robin’s toys but Owl, Rabbit, Piglet, Kanga and Roo are real animals. [If I messed that up, let me know and I can fix it.] Once you’re able to figure out what’s going on, you should be good to go.Pooh’s stupidity (cluelessness?) in the movies always annoyed me. I found it incredibly charming in the book though. He’s so silly and the situations he gets into are pretty silly. You can’t help but laugh. The whole book is very sweet and gentle. The style reminds be a bit of C. S. Lewis. Even though I read this book as an adult I have an overwhelming sense of nostalgia for the book. It’s just one of those make-you-feel-comfortable type stories. It makes you want to be a kid again.The characters are pretty spot on with how I think of them. Pooh is quite ditzy but loveable. Piglet is a scaredy-cat. Eeyore is pretty depressing (but I find him quite funny). Owl is the intellectual but he’s not as smart as he thinks. Christoper Robin is a typical little boy.The bottom line? I need a sturdy copy of this book. It’s going to be read many times over my life. Highly recommended.