thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Where the Red Fern Grows

Where the Red Fern Grows - I read this as kid but didn’t remember much about it aside from crying my eyes out while reading it. For some reason, I mentally connected that sadness with enjoyment (along with the fact that it’s a classic of children’s literature). I’m sad to say that I didn’t enjoy the book like I thought I would.The book isn’t bad at all. I can see why it’s beloved and why it’s stood the test of time. Animal stories always tuck at the heart and always seem to be loved. Combine that with the classic coming-of-age aspect, mix with nostalgia for a simpler time, and it’s a sure hit.I couldn’t ever fully connect with the story. I find it a bit harder to connect with male protagonists. Sure, occasionally I make an instant connection but generally speaking I struggle to fully “get” them. Then there’s the fact that Billy is a good old country boy. As a city girl, I don’t have any common ground with him so it’s even harder to fully connect. Both of those aspects worked against me liking Billy (and the story).The bottom line? Eh. I wasn’t a fan.