thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Practice Cake (Life in Saltwater City, #1)

Practice Cake (Life in Saltwater City, #1) - Dalya Moon I liked how this book embraced the new adult age group perfectly. For those of you who don’t know what new adult books are, they are books with protagonists who are 18-25 years old. They tend to be a lot like Young Adult books just with a bit older characters. Graduating high school and attempting to enter the ‘real world’ is a really weird time for all of us. Practice Cake examines that awkwardness. Juggling friendships, work, and dating is hard for anyone. To me, it was perfectly captured. I personally am still in that new adult phase of my life so I understood and felt everything Maddie was going through.Maddie was a good character. She’s very likeable and funny. I snorted quite a bit. Yep, that’s right I didn’t laugh, I snorted. Take that as you will. She definitely feels like someone I could be friends with. In some respects she does feel a tad immature but then again she is 18. All 18 years olds are immature to an extent. It didn’t feel out of place though.I’m surprised to say that I didn’t mind the romantic aspects of the story. Well I did mind Parker. I’ve never understood why girls in chick-lit books have such bad boyfriends. Do you they really not mind being treated like crap? Ugh. Besides that the romances were cute and not too over the top. Everything felt pretty natural.The bottom line? It’s a fun, fluffy book. A perfect break from my other books.