thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

White Cat: The Curse Workers, Book One

White Cat  - Holly Black, Jesse Eisenberg 3.5I downloaded this on a whim last summer. Random House was offering it as a free download so I grabbed it. I loved that the curse workers were a known part of society. That’s a big change from the fantasy books I normally read. Normally the “creatures” (for lack of a better word) are hidden within society. They do everything in their power to make sure their lives stay secret. White Cat lets the workers be a part of the everyday world. Sure, there is segregation and fear surrounding the workers but people still know about them. I would love to see that idea implemented in more fantasy books.The curse working aspect was really fun. A simple touch can lead to good luck, changing of your memories, or even death? As a reader, I was definitely fascinated by it and how everything worked. There is some explanation for how some of the mechanics of it work but not enough for me. Maybe it’s explained more in the rest of the series? I may have missed it since I was listening to it rather than reading it.The story was pretty good. Everything was so mysterious. You never knew what was going to happen. I’m a total sucker for mysteries , lies, and secrets so I was hooked. Cassel was a decent character. It’s weird. I think if I had read the book I would have only liked him a bit. He’s a developed character, I could understand him, and he was likeable but there were no sparks. I thought Jesse Eisenberg did a really good job with the book so I ended up liking Cassel more. I think hearing him made him feel like a real person. Thumbs up to you Jesse! I wasn’t too wild about the other characters. For the most part many of them are pretty slimy so I suppose they aren’t supposed to be likable.Like I said before, Eisenberg did a great job with the audiobook. I liked his voice for the story. For me personally, audiobooks aren’t the best choice for fantasy books though. Fantasy books have lots of details about the hows and whys of that world. I have a harder time understanding and comprehending the book if I’m listening rather than reading about it. Then there’s the fact that I spent over a month listening to this book. I definitely had a hard time remembering things.The bottom line? I liked it well enough. It’s a bit different than my normal fantasy books. I’ll probably pick up book 2 in the future.