thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The Weepers The Other Life

The Weepers: The Other Life  - Susanne Winnacker While reading books, I kind of think about what I’m going to say in a review. Things will stand out to me so I’ll make a mental note to talk about it in my review. Well while reading this book I was thoroughly annoyed at what I thought was the mislabeling of this book as a dystopia. I’m sick and tired of authors and publishers labeling everything to be dystopias. For a majority of the book, it’s really more of a post apocalyptic story mixed with zombies. Only at the very end does the book reveal itself to have any dystopian qualities. Even at the end, the dystopian-ness of the book is only alluded to.The characters were okay. I like that Sherry kicked some butt. She doesn’t sit around for someone to rescue her. She tries her best to take care of herself and her family. Sure she doesn’t always succeed but she always tries. I liked that aspect of her but other than that she falls a bit flat. The story is told through first person narration so I should be able to know her a bit better, right? I guess. You start to see and understand her but it’s not explored fully.Joshua was the typical male counterpart. He’s on his own, he takes care of himself, he’s a tough guy, he’s got secrets, *yawn*. Nothing too special about him. The rest of the characters were just meh. I really wasn’t too emotionally invested in them.The story was fun or at least as fun as a story like this can be. I like post apocalyptic stories well enough. It’s weird to imagine life as we know it to be over. The addition of zombies who aren’t technically zombies was cool. I breezed through the story pretty quickly want to know what was coming.The pacing was weird. I like fast paced books but this was almost too fast paced. It was like the author wanted to rush on the next aspect of story instead of letting the story sit with the reader. You couldn’t dwell on the development because the author was already on to something new. Then there was the ending. The author drops a bombshell on you and then The End. I’m sure she has an overall plan for how the story is going to play out but I think there could have been a better way of cutting the story.The bottom line? A fun read for post apocalyptic fans.*I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.