thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Nation

Nation - Terry Pratchett For some really bizarre reason I had it in my mind that this was supposed to be a hilarious book. So for the first 100 pages or so I was completely confused and had a hard time enjoying the book because it wasn’t hilarious. Things went much smoother when I gave up waiting for the hilarious parts to show up. [There are definitely some silly and funny moments sprinkled throughout the book though.]This book was a nice breath of fresh air. Sure I enjoy reading about people that are similar to me. It’s easy to relate to them and their struggles. It’s comfortable and familiar. All of that is fine but it’s good to occasionally step out of your comfort zone. Nation is a different YA book. It’s about different people dealing with very different circumstances than me. I liked it though. Isn’t reading about different places/struggles one of the points of reading? To experience things you might not normally? Nation definitely accomplished that.It’s a very different coming of age story. Mau is right on that pivotal moment of actually becoming a man when things go horribly wrong. Even though things are about as bad as they can get for him, he keeps going. His identity and culture are so important to him, he does everything to keep them alive. He became a leader so naturally. In some books, it feels like the leader is the leader because the author says so. Mau evolves into a leader because he knows what needs to be done and wants to take care of everyone. He continues to stick with it even when he’s tired and scared like a real leader does. Daphne definitely grows up as well. I think her story is more humorous. Even though she’s shipwrecked on an island in the middle of the ocean, she still attempts to be as proper of a lady as she can. Eventually she adapts well to the culture of the others. Her growth is brought to light at the end. She truly appreciates and loves the people she lived with for months and did everything she could to take care of them when she left.The ending was well done. Things don’t end “perfectly” or like a happy ending. It does seem like a true to life ending though. Mau and Daphne don’t fall in love and get married or insert your favorite cheesy ending here. They go their separate ways but they allow their experiences influence their new lives. That’s how life changing influencing experiences work. It makes you see things a bit differently.The bottom line? Recommended for the YA lovers out there. It might be different and out of your comfort zone but it’s well worth the read.