thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The Magi - Kevin M. Turner This was an interesting story. Many other reviewers said Harry Potter fans should check it out. So as the Harry Potter fangirl that I am, I decided to get the book. The story is similar to HP and Percy Jackson in that we have Elijah who is quickly whisked away to a school to learn about a whole new world. It was similar enough to the 'other' stories to capture people's attention but also was its own story to keep the reader interested.I thought it was really cool that the author built a whole new world. Mythology, paranormal creatures, and wizards have been done before. He created the Magis which I don't believe have been done this way before.This book is self published so things are a bit rough around the edges. The ideas behind the story were very good but the execution felt a bit flat. Basically it could have used a professional editor and tightened the writing up a bit more. It would have been much smoother sailing. The story is almost there but not quite.The pacing of the story really bothered me. It moves way too quickly. The author would introduce one idea and then quickly move on to the next thing so you can't really fully appreciate/understand what happened. It was like he focused too much on telling me about this world instead of showing me. Because of this, I couldn't connect with characters.The bottom line? It's an enjoyable book if you can look past some self publishing problems.