thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The End of the World Club (Jaguar Stones)

The End of the World Club - Jon Voelkel, Pamela Voelkel I’ll admit I enjoy series books. It’s a fantastic feeling to find a book that you really enjoy and then to have even more books similar to that book all set to be read. It takes a lot of the ‘work’ out of going to the library/bookstore. The biggest downside to series book is they tend to be really formulaic.Thankfully, The End of the World Club did not fall into that ‘second story syndrome’. Yay! I was pleasantly surprised the authors were able to keep enough of the ‘flavor’ of the first book in addition to having a different unique story. It’s really hard to find that balance.This book had adventure but a different type of adventure. Instead of running through jungles, Max and Lola are running off to Spain, dealing with ‘city’ adventures and solving mysteries. This book felt more like the Percy Jackson books which is awesome. Max gets caught up in many different silly situations: playing for his favorite band, waking up in a coffin, trying to stop a wedding.While I really enjoyed this book, I didn’t love it. I think it’s really hard to capture the magic and wonder of the first book again. It is absolutely fun and wonderful but there just wasn’t that little something extra to make me love it, you know?For what it’s worth, I recommend reading this fairly soon after Middleworld. I took a few months off and had a hard time remembering everything. The two books are only a few weeks off from each other in time so remembering what already happened is very helpful!Rating 3.5/5I still highly recommend this series to Percy Jackson fans. I keep telling that to all the kids who come into the bookstore when I’m at work!