thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1)

The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) - Terry Pratchett Normally when you have people warning you about a book before you read it, it's a bad sign. I have to say I'm glad I was warned about the book. I was warned that the book is written to be funny and it's more of a spoof than anything. That was the biggest help to me. Going into the book knowing it's supposed to be humorous made it so much more enjoyable. I don't know if I would have quite "got" that otherwise. Others warned me that it's not Terry Pratchett's best book in the series. That makes me feel even better. I liked this book so I should enjoy the other books more, right?The humor was enjoyable enough. I didn't find it laugh out loud funny. To me it was more silly than anything. A wizard who can only do one spell? The world is supported on the back of a giant turtle? Come on, that's pretty silly.In some respects, the humor was a bit too much for me. I like funny stories as much as the next person but for me there is such a thing as too much humor. Some places felt like Pratchett was just trying to poke fun at the fantasy genre and not telling the story. I wish he had focused a bit more on his story and didn't worry as much about being satirical.This is definitely one of those books you need to be a fantasy fan to appreciate and "get" the story. That's not to say that non-fantasy fans couldn't/shouldn't read the book though. I really don't think they'd enjoy it though.Rating 3/5Funny enough. I'd probably pick up another book in the series at some point.