thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The Call of the Wild

The Call of the Wild - Jack London This book was pretty depressing. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't this. If you haven't read this, I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like violence especially animal violence.I wasn't a huge fan of the story. I didn't like the first half of the story at all. Like I said, it's depressing! Unfortunately like most people I've become pretty desensitized to violence but animal violence/abuse still makes me very uncomfortable. I had to just skim some parts because I didn't want the images in my head. I understand why the violence was there. I don't have to like it though.Thankfully the story does get better/more cheerful for the rest of the book. John Thornton saved the book for me. If it wasn't for him I would have hated the book. Sadly, the end of the books is just completely depressing.I wasn't exactly attached to any of the characters. Buck was an enjoyable enough dog, that's simply because he was the protagonist. The other dogs? Eh. I was squeamish with the violence simply because I don't like violence not because I was rooting for someone to win (or lose). Thornton was likeable but then again he was basically the only human who wasn't horrible. The book was very short so I suppose it's difficult get people attached to characters in that short of time.I read this book in conjunction with Banned Books Week. I didn't really see anything "bad" about the book. I think the biggest problem against the book is it's very commonly mistaken as a children's book. After reading the book, I can assure you it's not a children's book. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure the author didn't write the story for children. The book does have simple, easy to read language as well as animal main characters but those two characteristics alone don't make a book a children's book. The violence definitely makes the book reading material for adults or teens. It's not ban-worthy as far as I can see.Rating 2/5It was okay. Generally speaking animal books aren't my thing and not to mention I'm not an outdoors-y book fan.