thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Her Fearful Symmetry

Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger This book was not was expecting. Okay, maybe that’s not true. I didn’t actually know what to expect aside from it to be really good. Like so many others, I thoroughly enjoyed Niffenegger’s debut novel, The Time Traveler’s Wife. I expected to enjoy this as much as I did The Time Traveler’s Wife. While the book was enjoyable, I did not love it.The story was an interesting take on ghost stories. Maybe not. I don’t actually read many ghost stories. It was interesting to me though. I enjoyed reading about the hows of becoming of ghost. The author blends the paranormal with reality fairly well for most of the book. [The last 100 pages or so the book takes a jump off the deep end and ruins the story.] The story was done in a more “mature” way which is refreshing. By mature, I mean people aren’t swooning over the paranormal like way too many paranormal books do. It dips it’s toe into paranormal romance but thankfully the book ends before things get too weird.The relationships with the characters were…odd. Valentina and Julia a weirdly close relationship. Are twins actually that close or is that just a misconception from non-twins? The girls fall almost too perfectly into place with the neighbors. I don’t know how to describe it if you haven’t read the story. The relationships just feel off. Both men are wayyy too old for the girls.The story was pretty engaging. I kept finding myself wandering back to my room to read. There were lots of good twists and turns to keep the reader reading. The big twist was really bizarre.One thing that kind of annoyed me was how the author trying to be very British. It was just a little weird and off putting. I didn’t feel that it came too natural to her. The story does take place in London but the Twins are American so it would make more sense to sound more “American”. It’s not a big deal or anything though.Rating 3/5It’s okay. Pick it up if you’re in the mood for a paranormal-y chick lit book.