thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Coraline

Coraline - Dave McKean, Neil Gaiman The idea of a parallel universe that's similar to ours but better is a very appealing idea. That's why it's always popping up in literature. Come on, who wouldn't want to have everything the same but with nicer family/friends, or a better job? That's how Coraline hooked me.Coraline initially likes the idea and considers it until she find out what must be done for that to happen. I'm not going to spoil the book but it is similar to the movie.I do have to say that this is one of the instances where the movie is better than the book. They obviously have many similarities but the movie makes the story more exciting and expands a bit more.The book is spooky but just enough so younger readers can enjoy it. I really like the novella length (194 pgs). I felt like it was the right length. Any longer I think the story would have been dragging.Rating 3/5I recommend it for fantasy readers looking for a quick read and fans of the movie.