thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Son

Son - Lois Lowry Just like the rest of the series, Son is a companion novel to the Giver. I thought it was one of the more interesting books in the series because it’s a companion to the Giver AND coexists for with the Giver for a good portion of the story. We learned Jonas and Gabe’s story in the Giver so it was very interesting to see Claire’s side of what happened.I particularly enjoyed learning more about the world they were from. Claire had a completely different experience because she was a bit older. She went from a lowly position (but was treated well) to a working position. The whole birthmother thing is still really weird for me. Why oh why do they have to inseminate teen girls? I know that everyone takes pills to take away emotions but why can’t they let the families produce children the natural way?!While I did like the story, it really drug on for me. The first 1/3 was interesting because we saw a different side to the world and we knew roughly what would happen. I was a bit disappointed that we never figured out what was “wrong” with Gabe other than he was difficult. Perhaps he inherited what made Claire special? The next 1/3 was way too long. Is it really necessary for Claire to wait years and years to build her strength and live in this village before moving on to find her son? The last 1/3 was cool because it ties into Messenger.The ending of book was pretty cliche for me. Of course Gabe would be told who Claire was when she was on her death bed. Of course it would be up to Gabe to save Claire. Of course he would do it in the nick of time but we wouldn’t see their reunion.The bottom line? It was a nice ending to the books.