thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The One and Only Ivan

The One and Only Ivan - Even though this book has been praised and awarded, I was still hesitant to read it. I’m really not an animal story fan. I like animals well enough but animal stories aren’t really enjoyable for me. Just as I expected, I liked the story okay but didn’t love it or anything. Ivan does have an interesting story but in some places it felt a bit ‘preachy’. By ‘preachy’ I just mean it felt very in your face about how bad Ivan’s situation was. Maybe it was because I’m an adult and already know that Ivan wasn’t in a good situation for animals but that message got to be annoying.The style and narration was not what I was expecting. It’s told through first person and had a very free verse style going. I guess that makes sense because gorillas don’t know English/have the same level of understanding as us. It needed to be told in that way to capture Ivan’s voice properly but I wasn’t a fan of it.The bottom line? It was an okay read. Might be more enjoyable for younger readers and/or animal story fans.