thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen I’ve held off on reading this book for a long time. Mainly because classic books are still a bit difficult for me to read and I’m not a romance fan. So a classic romance shouldn’t be a fun read for me, right? Well…. kind of.I’m surprised that I had fun with the romantic twists and turns in the story. I guess it’s because it’s not like the romance that pops up in the modern books I read today? There’s no one sleeping around behind someone’s back. We just get friends and family meddling in each other’s love lives. It always baffled me at how fast the romance moved sometimes. I’d turn the page and suddenly someone was engaged!The language was a bit rough for me at times. I’m never going to be a fan of flowery language. It’s a nice change from the normal stuff I read but it’s still too much. I’d much rather get down to the meat of the story. I did appreciate the humor in the story though. It’s a great change from the “stuffy” classics out there.The characters were interesting. I was surprised at how easily I was able to relate to Elizabeth. Lydia was crazy (and hilarious). I liked Mr. Bennet and his humor. Mrs. Bennet was pretty ridiculous but I enjoyed her.The bottom line? I liked the basics of the story but the language and execution of the story made it a bit difficult to devour sometimes.