thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Princess Academy

Princess Academy - Shannon Hale More like 3.5/5Hale does a wonderful job of creating a fantasy book that has a pretty firm standing here in the real world. I love that his book felt more like historical fiction rather than fantasy. Mount Eskel felt pretty complete. The book wasn’t terribly long but I felt I had a good grasp on what the place was like. We got little hints of the politics of the area as well as a good sprinkling of the culture. We learned a bit about their traditions and their songs. Maybe not as much as I wanted but then again I am a huge fan of learning about fictional places.The fantastical element (quarry speaking) was so minor you might just mistake it for a real thing. Being able to convey messages through memories would be pretty awesome to do though.I’ll admit the actual story does seem a bit odd. The idea of finishing schools is always odd one for me. I don’t know why. It’s just a weird idea to go to school for that. The idea of a finishing school for mountain girls with no education was pretty interesting. Mix that with the fact that the prince will choose one of the graduates to be his wife? That’s a big rags-to-riches story. Then when you throw in the fact that it’s almost a boarding school school as well? I was hooked.Miri was an awesome heroine. She is a smart one. I loved that she loved learning. I loved that she wasn’t interested in the education in order to get the prince. She was doing it for her. She wanted to learn and she wanted to pass on the knowledge to her people so they could better themselves. If the prince just happened to choose her? It would just be icing on the cake. She was selfless but realistically selfless. She stood up to the teacher, she was willing to take the fall to save her classmates, and truly wanted what was best for everyone. All of that was pretty believable. The bottom line? Enjoyable!