thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #2)

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #2) - I’m pleased that the book doesn’t have too much of the second story syndrome. Yes, we have another prophecy and quest to save the day but that’s kind of the point of this series. I felt like the quest of this book was different enough that I didn’t feel like I was reading a re-run.I like that we get to see Percy having flaws within this book. He acts like a normal kid for the whole Tyson situation. He tries to get away from him because he doesn’t want to be labeled as a weirdo like Tyson but when he can’t avoid it, Percy just sucks it up the best he can. Once it’s revealed that the two are brothers, Percy gets a bit more angry at the situation (despite the happiness that it brings Tyson). You can understand Percy’s frustrations.I think the anger definitely makes him seem like a real teenager. I think it’s great to see our hero acting like a brat. One, it shows you don’t have to be perfect to be considered a ‘hero’. Two, it gives him room to grow. Thankfully Percy does mature and realize that his dad wasn’t intentionally trying to be mean or hurtful. Percy realized that the problem was with him not with Poseidon or Tyson.The bottom line? An enjoyable second installment of the series.