thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The Hound of the Baskervilles

The Hound of the Baskervilles -  Arthur Conan Doyle 2.5/5I’ve always enjoyed the idea of Sherlock Holmes and have enjoyed the various interpretations of him in media (Guy Ritchie’s movies, House MD) but I’ve never actually read a Sherlock Holmes book. I decided it was time to change that. My first experience was a decent one. I got exactly what I was expecting. Holmes and Watson have quick and sometimes witty discussions. They pick up on things I never would have noticed. Holmes pieces everything together.The mystery was decent enough. It wasn’t totally engrossing, keep-me-on-the-edge-of-my-seat interesting but I still liked it well enough. I think my problem was I was really inconsistent in my reading. I read it on and off over 2 weeks. That doesn’t help me remember things and it makes it a lot harder to pick the book back up.I didn’t totally click with the book unfortunately. The book wasn’t bad by any means, I just didn’t enjoy it. Maybe I should have started at the beginning of the series?The bottom line? I didn’t enjoy it as much as I wanted to but it’s still a solid book. Maybe next time I’ll try The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes since short stories are a bit easier to digest.