thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator - Quentin Blake, Roald Dahl This book takes off right where the Chocolate Factory left us. This should be fun and exciting. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a delightful, fun adventure so continuing the story would be even better! Errr.. not quite.The Glass Elevator’s biggest misstep is it tries to do a very different story. Suddenly we’re in space and the US government thinks they’re aliens. It just doesn’t work for me at all. The entire space part of the story was really bizarre. There was no build up. It didn’t feel like the first book so I couldn’t get into it. Not to mention it tried to be very fantastical and just went too far.The second half of the story was a bit better since they go back to familiar territory (the chocolate factory). This half definitely felt more like the first book, which I appreciated. The only problem was it felt like a completely different book compared to the space part of the story. It literally felt like they were two different stories weirdly melded together.There’s not a ton of character development. It was interesting to see that Charlie’s grandparents were depicted as a little bit horrible since the reader was a bit fond of them in the other book. If you remember in Charlie and Chocolate Factory, the children were horrible, spoiled brats. They did what they wanted to and the bad things that happened to them were because they chose not to listen to Mr. Wonka. Charlie’s grandparents do the exact same thing. Lo and behold they’re in big trouble.The bottom line? Definitely my least favorite Dahl book I’ve read so far.