thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia)

The Magician's Nephew - C.S. Lewis When I was a wee lass many years ago, I tried reading the Chronicles of Narnia. Everyone loved the books! My dad, who isn't much of a reader, even enjoyed them as a kid! Surely, I was going to love the books. I don't remember if I read this or The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe but I vividly remember not liking it. Maybe I was just confused because it wasn't like I thought it was going to be. Maybe it was because I didn't read fantasy at the time. Maybe it was because it was so different and a bit 'boring' compared to what I read at the time (Goosebumps). I'm not sure but whatever it was it turned me off of the books because I never touched them again. Flash forward 10+ years to now. I'm definitely more into fantasy now and I have endless amounts of free time thanks to unemployment and a crappy economy so I thought I would try the books again.I'm SO glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed the story. I think I'm finally coming around to enjoying the older, slow paced stories. It's not the action packed, keep you on the edge of your seat type of book that I normally read but it still kept me reading. I loved Lewis' writing style. It's sweet, gentle, and filled with delightful little side notes. The book is a bit on the shorter side so there wasn't much of a chance to develop characters as much as I would have liked to seen. It's okay though. The little we did see of them, I actually really enjoyed.The book isn't quite what I thought it would be. I was hoping to immediately jump into the world of Narnia, go on quests and all that fun stuff. This book doesn't really have that. It's the very beginning of the world so there's not much of that going on. That might have been one of the things that turned me off of the book so many years ago. From what I little I do know about the world of Narnia, I could definitely see things starting to fall into place which as really cool.I actually really enjoyed the biblical allegories/parallels. I hated reading and analyzing texts like that for school but on my own time and for books that I enjoy, I love it! I've read most of the books about Harry Potter where they deconstruct the book and examine the pieces of it. I have a sneaky suspicion that if I enjoy the rest of the series as much as this book I will be reading many of the Narnia books out there as I can find. (Any suggestions?)The bottom line? It's a good first step into the world of Narnia and a delightful little story.