thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Bumped

Bumped - Megan McCafferty The premise of this world is what attracted me to the book. I thought it was an interesting idea and I wanted to see what the author would do with it. As I started reading I began to so many problems with the book.One: I didn't think about it at first but these girls are basically prostitutes. They are having sex for cars, college scholarships, and anything else they could want. I really, really didn't like that. Especially because of how young some girls were.Two: One of the best parts of dystopian books is reading how the author imagines this different world along with the hows and whys of that world. It's really never explained what this virus is and where it came from or anything like that. It's just presented with no explanation. Then worst of all, the characters don't really have a problem with the way things work. Everyone just accepts it and either goes with it or changes to a different lifestyle.Three: [SPOILERS] I really, really, really had a problem with Harmony. At first I thought she was going to be a strong Christian character (which is so incredibly rare) but in the end she essentially gives into peer pressure. Attention authors: not everyone gives into peer pressure! Where are characters with backbone?For what little was shown about the future world, it was kind of cool. Actually a lot of the technology and some of the lingo reminded me of Feed.Overall the story was okay. It did keep me engaged. I read it really fast. It wasn't what I thought it would be though. I had really high hopes for the book.Rating: 2.5/5I really wasn't impressed.