thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Howl's Moving Castle

Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1) - Diana Wynne Jones More like a 3.5-ish?That summary wasn’t lying about this book being a jigsaw puzzle. I found the book a bit confusing to say the least. Each chapter felt a bit episodic in nature and and was a bit slow moving towards the larger story. I guess normally that’s not a huge deal but I was reading the book only on my lunch break so I had a hard time picking up and stopping the book. I just couldn’t properly orient myself within the story. I also thought the storyline was a bit all over the place. I had a hard time remembering what was going on, who’s who, what had already happened, etc.The characters definitely made me enjoy the book. Howl’s personality is larger than the book. He’s definitely a bit of a drama queen which I loved. His exaggerations and snark were hilarious. Examples: “I’m dying of boredom,” Howl said pathetically. “Or maybe just dying.”and “I’m going up to my room now, where I may die.”Sophie didn’t let her current condition change how she acted. She was a feisty old lady (which is the best kind of old lady). I did find it a little odd that she was able to shove her way into the castle and no one thought it was weird. It was also a little odd that she just made herself at home and they didn’t have a problem with it. I guess it’s best not to question these things. The other characters weren’t as stand out as the two of them but I liked them well enough. The ending was a bit too cutesy and perfect for my taste.The bottom line? It was enjoyable but I didn’t love it.