thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Gathering Blue

Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2) - Lois Lowry Much like The Giver, Gathering Blue‘s world building is subtle. You’re never explicitly told what this world is like. You only see small hints or you figure out things by seeing how characters interact. In some ways, that really, really frustrated me. World building is a huge thing for me. I always want to know how worlds function and how things got to that point. I was not given that in this book. In other ways, the lack of world building made the reader use their imagination more. I was given the bare bones and left to fill things in.This is a companion novel to The Giver and not a sequel which is important to keep in mind. I can definitely see the parallels in the worlds. There is a harsh, unforgiving nature to the people in both worlds. They don’t want and don’t help “flawed” people. Towards the end of the book I could how the two books might come together. Basically don’t go into this looking to clear up loose ends from The Giver. I guess the next book, Messenger, does that.Kira was a likeable character. She is an outsider in her world so both of you can see the flaws and problems within her society. Matty was very likable. His innocence and loving nature was great. It was exactly what Kira needed.The bottom line? It was okay.