thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Loser

Loser - Jerry Spinelli Ahhh much better. As you might know I wasn’t too impressed with the last Jerry Spinelli book I read. It wasn’t bad but it didn’t wow me either. I was able to enjoy Loser much more.Zinkoff is a kid we all knew in school. He’s a little weird, didn’t do that well in school, wasn’t good in sports, and didn’t really have any friends. At the beginning of the book, no one really cared because that’s all normal behavior for a 6 year old but as he grew up, the other kids started noticing his differences.I loved Zinkoff for not caring about what others thought of him and continuing to do his thing. I think I liked him because I saw a bit of myself in him. Yeah, I was a ‘loser’ in school. Unlike Zinkoff, I was always hurt when I was picked last for gym even though I knew I was terrible but that’s enough about me.This is definitely a book that more people can relate to. We’ve all been losers in some aspects in our lives but we need to be more like Zinkoff and not let it bother us.Zinkoff’s ‘hero’ moment was wonderful. I can’t imagine many 6th graders being that determined.Overall, I loved this book and recommend it to you.Rating4/5