thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

A Little Princess

A Little Princess - 4.5/5Ahhh. Burnett does it again. Here I am again falling in love with a book that’s so not “me”. A Little Princess is so charming and wonderful. I couldn’t help grinning while reading it.In theory, Sara isn’t the type of character I would normally like. She’s too perfect. She’s incredibly well behaved. Most children would be very upset at moving to a different country and having their father leave them behind. Most children would be devastated and throw a fit when learning of their father’s death and that they have no money. Not Sara. She copes with all the changes very well. She does get upset and sad by everything but she doesn’t show it. She chooses to deal with everything by “supposing” or pretending different situations. She keeps her cool by supposing she in a princess and behaves like a princess would in the situation.I liked that the author was indirectly teaching you to be a better person. Okay maybe teaching isn’t the best word but she and Sara make you want to be a better person. If Sara can keep her composure in her horrid circumstances then I can do it as well. She was the same lovely person when she had lots of money and when she had no money. She truly has a caring heart.The story was interesting enough. I do have a thing for boarding schools so I loved getting to see the school. Seeing Sara grow through the story was a delight. The only downside to the book is it tends to drag in some areas.The bottom line? Very charming.