thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Cassidy Jones and the Secret Formula (Cassidy Jones Adventures, #1)

Cassidy Jones and the Secret Formula (Cassidy Jones Adventures, #1) - Elise Stokes 3.5/5For some reason this story seemed really familiar. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a movie (or something) telling a similar story. That didn’t stop me from having fun with the book. It’s not a super deep book that’s profound and moving. The author isn’t going for that. Instead we get a fun mystery/adventure book where Cassidy comes to terms with her new powers.When I downloaded this book I thought it was aimed at the YA audience. I still think it is to an extent but reading the book it doesn’t feel like a YA book. It definitely feels a bit younger like older MG fiction. It was a bit reminiscent of the Priscilla the Great books. While reading the book, I kept being reminded of those Disney Channel Original Movies. Much like the movies, the book was wholesome, entertaining, and a good story. I didn’t mind it but I was expecting a bit older and grittier.The story was interesting enough. Who doesn’t love a good mystery with action mixed in? The biggest complaint I had was the story moved pretty quickly. It zips through the story pretty quickly over a pretty short time period. I liked Cassidy and Emery. I wish we would have got to know them better but it is the first novel in a series.The bottom line? I had fun with it. It’s a good, quick action story. Glad I grabbed the next in series.