thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Zel

Zel - Donna Jo Napoli It was a pretty faithful retelling. The original fairy tale is pretty short so it’s a good spring board for a story. Napoli does put her own twists on the story but it really works.I like the 3 narrators. It definitely gave the story some more strength. To a certain extent it made all of the characters pretty sympathetic. By fleshing out the characters, you actually feel for all of them. You would think that Mother would be a pretty unsympathetic character but I did feel bad for her. All she wanted was to be a mother. Back in the 1500s, there weren’t a whole lot of options if you can’t have a child naturally though. She is being selfish for wanting Zel all to herself but I see where she’s coming from. The dark magic aspect of her story strays from the fairy tale but it definitely adds a bit of flavor to the story.Zel is pretty likeable. She is quite sheltered but does try to rebel against mother a bit. I was able to sympathize with her. The poor thing went from having very little contact to the outside world to NO contact with the outside world. I could feel her unraveling. Now I understand why she falls for the Prince so quickly. I don’t think she would have did the insta-love thing if they met under normal circumstances.Konrad’s story is the biggest new addition to the story. I greatly appreciated hearing his story. He’s no longer just a random guy who stumbled across Rapunzel and decide to save her. He’s her true love and has spent 2 years searching looking for her. It’s a nice additional layer to a fairy tale.The bottom line? It’s a solid retelling!